Saturday, January 26, 2013

Children's Corner: Saints for Kids (DVD)

Welcome back to the Children's Corner at Stuart's Study. Today, instead of reviewing a book, I am reviewing a DVD called Saints for Kids instead. This product like, past Children's Corner product was sent to me courtesy of Pauline Books and Media. I was a bit conflicted when I received this product in the mail to review. Call me radical, but I don't want my children sitting in front of the TV all the time, glued to it like zombies. However, there are a few programs and stations out there that I would be okay with, and this would be one of them.

Intended for children ages 3-8, though you could start it with younger children, this 2-set DVD pack highlights 32 different saints with an approximate four minute segment for each one. I really like that the DVDs are arranged according to the Saint's Feast Day on the Church Calendar. It is also refreshing that the DVDs aren't filled with all the typical saints, you'd expect to see. Sure, your kids will recognize some of the saints, like St. Mary or St. Nicholas, but be surprised with some other saints like St. Anthony of Egypt, one of the founders of monasticism.

Overall, I would give this DVD set 4 out of 5 stars. The content is super, but the animation style is a little low quality. If your kids are used to Disney or DreamWorks, they might find this to be a bit lackluster. I would have also liked the segments to be longer than four minutes. I think ten minutes would be a good length. Perhaps, they are this short because they know kids have a short attention span, and know that kids minds move on to different things quickly. Despite these two gripes, I would still recommend it for your children or your Catholic Religious Education class.

No comments:

Post a Comment