Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bible Studies

I got to thinking about my blog the other night. And I realized that only posting on Monday and Fridays is kind of limiting and self-defeating. People come to a person's blog to have something to read. If my posts have a 3-4 day gap, people lose interest and I could lose readership. So I tried to think of what I could write on and I realized that I am active in two different Bible studies. Over-committed? Probably. Why not write about those?

So before I dive in and start talking on the Bible, I am going to give you a brief introduction to both Bible studies that includes who we meet with, what book we're studying, and the resources I personally use to get the most out of my Bible study.

One Bible Study involves my wife and I meeting with two other young married couples in the 20-30 range. I am the leader of this Bible study, masochist that I am. :) This particular Bible study group meets every Thursday and we are working our way through the Catholic Epistles (James through Jude for those of you unaware with this section of the Bible). We are currently on 1st Peter as we finished James in August. We use the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament, for our main reference. I personally also use the following three commentaries to get some more insight:

First and Second Peter, Jude
Navarre Bible: Revelation and Hebrews and Catholic Letters
Universal Truth: The Catholic Epistles of James, Peter, Jude, and John

In the other Bible study, my wife and I are the youngest by far. This is a Bible study group that her parents belong to and recruited us. It is composed of an interesting mix of people, who aren't all Catholic, so we get some definite ideas come out of left field every now and then. We used to meet every Sunday, but have since moved to two Sundays a month to accommodate the hosting couple. We are going to be studying the book of Revelation, using the Agape Bible Study as our main source. I will also use the following three commentaries to get some more insight:

Navarre Bible: Revelation and Hebrews and Catholic Letters
The Apocalypse of Saint John: A Revelation of Love and Power
Commentary on the Apocalypse

As it stands now, my plan is to post the day before each Bible study is to occur. So the first post on 1 Peter will be tomorrow, September 12th, and the first post on Revelation will be October 6th. So tune in tomorrow as I post on 1st Peter chapter 1, and if you would like to follow along and study with us, please leave some comments on the posts. I would love to hear from my readers out there. As always, thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment