Monday, January 21, 2013

Catholic Monday: The Blessing Cup

Welcome back to Stuart's Study. You may notice that this post has a different heading in front of it called "Catholic Monday." Starting this week book reviews will be segregated by days. We now have Catholic Mondays, Orthodox Thursdays, and the Children's Corner on Saturdays. I understand a lot of my followers are Catholics, but I believe we can learn a lot from our Eastern Orthodox brothers and sisters and vice versa. So I hope my faithful readers will still continue to check out reviews on Thursday as they might find a book that piques their interest and causes them to explore the other lung of Christianity.

Today I am reviewing The Blessing Cup: Prayer Rituals for Families and Groups an by Fr. Rock Tranikar. Within the pages of this book you will find prayer rituals you can pray with your family or friends for almost every possible occasion, i.e., buying a home, safe travel, and a wedding anniversary, just to name a few. Holy Days and Holidays are also included in this book, so if your family is looking for a new family tradition, this book could be a starting point.

Each ritual includes an Opening Prayer, a Scripture passage, Petitions, a Collect, and a Sharing of the Blessing Cup. If you use this book as a family, I would recommend your family purchasing a beautiful cup/chalice or making your own to make these rituals more meaningful to you and yours. If you make your own, you can have the names of all your family members written on the cup to add even more meaning.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this book and hope to adopt a couple of these rituals. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars and think it belongs on the shelf of every Catholic family. I also believe it would make an excellent gift for a wedding, bridal shower, or baby shower. We could all stand to pray more, and this book is just the resource you need to get you and your family praying together.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from the Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Blessing Cup. The Catholic Company is the best resource for gifts for every Sacrament celebration, such as First Communion gifts and Baptism gifts, as well as a great selection of limited-time Year of Faith gifts and resources.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this! My friend has a 'blessing cup' and when I lived with her and her two daughters we would pray together and share a blessing cup. I will send her this link so she can read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks. What did their cup look like? I'm looking for ideas. :)

      Delete
  2. It was a large, glass goblet and had some pretty decorations on the side. Or was it green? Funny, I can't remember for sure. But it reminded me the holy grail. :)

    ReplyDelete